France And Greece To Renew Defense Pact For Another Five Years

The submarine ‘Le Temeraire’ (The Bold) at the naval nuclear submarine base at Ile Longue in Crozon, France, March 2, 2026. Yoan Valat /Pool via REUTERS
France And Greece To Renew Defense Pact For Another Five Years
Reuters
Total Views: 0
April 19, 2026
ATHENS, April 19 (Reuters) – French President Emmanuel Macron will travel to Greece next week to renew a security pact between the two countries against the backdrop of the
war in Iran
, a Greek government official said on Sunday.
France and Greece,
long-standing NATO allies
, signed a security and defense agreement in 2021, which required them to come to each other’s aid if attacked and included the purchase of three
French-made frigates
and around 24 Dassault-made Rafale fighter jets by Athens.
Macron’s visit to Greece on April 24-25 will renew the agreement for a further five years, with an automatic renewal thereafter, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Macron and the Greek government will also discuss maritime
Carsten Brzeski: ECB rate hikes? Not so fast

Carsten Brzeski: ECB rate hikes? Not so fast
in
World Economy News
19/04/2026
There is renewed excitement in financial markets about how the ECB might react to the war in the Middle East, with markets now pricing in more than three rate hikes. Needless to say, in such uncertain times, almost anything is possible, and nothing can be entirely ruled out. The real question, however, is whether markets have looked beyond the headlines and taken on board the messages from Wednesday’s ECB Watchers Conference, including remarks by Philip Lane and Christine Lagarde.
At least in my own humble opinion, those remarks point to a somewhat different reaction function than what markets are now pricing.
ING: Our latest views on the major central banks

ING: Our latest views on the major central banks
in
World Economy News
19/04/2026
Federal Reserve
The Fed currently views the oil price surge as a supply shock that it can’t do much about. So far, market and consumer inflation expectations are within tolerable ranges, and there is a sense that inflation is more likely to be transitory this time around than in 2022.
While inflation is likely to test 4%, the Fed’s dual mandate is also an important consideration. Having failed to create jobs in meaningful numbers over the past 18 months, when growth was strong, the risk is that we see weaker US jobs figures on the back of geopolitical, financial-market and economic angst.
Higher energy costs are likely to be demand destructive, given that household spending power is already under pressure and confidence is at such low levels.
Reassessing the short term global aluminium outlook amid rising market risk
Reassessing the short term global aluminium outlook amid rising market risk
in
Commodity News
19/04/2026
The Middle East conflict will have a lasting impact on the global aluminium market. The initial challenge for regional producers is to secure sufficient alumina and other raw materials to maintain production, even at lower utilisation rates. Meanwhile, the closure of the Strait of Hormuz and recent risks to shipping via the Suez Canal have created obstacles to exports.
We recently updated our short-term outlook for global aluminium, using Wood Mackenzie’s Lens Metals & Mining to enhance visibility across aluminium supply, energy exposure and short-term market risk.
India flags shipping risks, pushes supply chain resilience as Hormuz tensions hit energy markets
India flags shipping risks, pushes supply chain resilience as Hormuz tensions hit energy markets
in
International Shipping News
19/04/2026
At AZEC Plus meeting, S Jaishankar stressed safe maritime transit and resilient supply chains as Hormuz tensions disrupt energy flows.
India has raised concerns over attacks on merchant shipping and disruptions in global energy markets, calling for stronger supply chain resilience as tensions intensify around the Strait of Hormuz.
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said India remains committed to ensuring “safe and unimpeded transit passage” of maritime shipping, underlining that global growth depends on stable energy flows.
“Attacks on merchant shipping are completely unacceptable. Global growth demands that energy markets are not constricted,” Jaishankar said after participating in the ‘AZEC Plus’ meeting convened by Japan.
The remarks come at a time when maritime access restrictions are tightening around Iranian ports following a US-led block
India Flags ‘Deep Concerns’ Over Attack On Two Indian Ships In Strait of Hormuz

Ships and tankers in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Musandam, Oman, April 18, 2026. REUTERS
India Flags ‘Deep Concerns’ Over Attack On Two Indian Ships In Strait of Hormuz
Reuters
Total Views: 0
April 18, 2026
By Saurabh Sharma
MUMBAI, April 18 (Reuters) –
India
said it had called in the Iranian envoy to New Delhi and flagged its “deep concern” over
the attack on two Indian-flagged ships
attempting to cross the
Strait of Hormuz
on Saturday.
One of the vessels attacked was identified as the Sanmar Herald, an Indian government source said.
The crew on board and the vessel were safe, the source said.
Related Article:
Fresh Attacks Shatter ‘Open Hormuz’ Narrative as Iran Pushes New Maritime Regime
India’s top foreign ministry official asked the Iranian ambassador to convey India’s view to Iranian authorities and resume at the earliest the process of
facilitating India-bound ships
across the Strait, a statement from the ministry said.
The ambassador said he would convey these views t
Greek, Indian Tankers U-Turn Before Hormuz Amid Reopening Doubt

Ships and tankers in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Musandam, Oman, April 18, 2026. REUTERS
Greek, Indian Tankers U-Turn Before Hormuz Amid Reopening Doubt
Bloomberg
Total Views: 0
April 18, 2026
By Weilun Soon
Apr 18, 2026 (Bloomberg) –Several oil tankers have u-turned in the Persian Gulf after appearing to try to transit the
Strait of Hormuz
, as shipowners and oil traders remain in a state of disarray as they try to figure out whether Iran would stick to its promise to keep the chokepoint open for all.
The halted journeys of five Greek and Indian tankers early Saturday paint the first picture of how traffic is
navigating through the energy artery
, after Iran’s foreign minister said on Friday that it was completely open. Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency later reported that the passage will still be closed if a US naval blockade was still in effect.
The
Greek and Indian tankers
had all made their journeys northeast toward Hormuz from waters off Dubai, filled with crude, b
Australia, Japan Sign $7 Billion Warship Deal

Royal Australian Navy frigate HMAS Toowoomba arrives in preparation for Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) military exercises at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii, U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Holly L. Herline/Handout via REUTERS.
Australia, Japan Sign $7 Billion Warship Deal
Reuters
Total Views: 0
April 18, 2026
SYDNEY, April 18 (Reuters) – Australia and Japan signed contracts on Saturday launching their landmark A$10 billion ($7 billion)
deal to supply Australia with warships
, Tokyo’s most consequential military sale since ending a military export ban in 2014.
Defense Ministers Richard Marles and Shinjiro Koizumi signed a memorandum “reaffirming the Australian and Japanese governments’ shared commitment to the successful delivery” of the warships, Marles said in a statement.
The
deal struck in August
anchors Japan’s push away from its postwar pacifism to forge security ties beyond its alliance with the U.S.
Fresh Attacks Shatter ‘Open Hormuz’ Narrative as Iran Pushes New Maritime Regime
A UKMTO map showing the approximate location of an attack on a containership, which reported being hit by an unknown projectile causing damage to some of the containers. The incident was reported 25 nautical miles northeast of Oman. Image courtesy UKTMO
Fresh Attacks Shatter ‘Open Hormuz’ Narrative as Iran Pushes New Maritime Regime
Mike Schuler
Total Views: 1
April 18, 2026
The
fragile narrative
that the Strait of Hormuz is “open” unraveled again Saturday after multiple new incidents were reported by the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations, marking the first confirmed attacks on commercial shipping since April 7.
Within a span of hours on April 18, three separate incidents were reported off Oman—two classified as attacks and one as suspicious activity—underscoring the continued volatility across one of the world’s most critical maritime corridors.
A containership was struck by an unknown projectile roughly 25 nautical miles northeast of Oman, damaging cargo but causing no fire or
Drewry: World Container Index Down 3%

Drewry: World Container Index Down 3%
in
International Shipping News
18/04/2026
For many years, World Container Index (WCI) has been the go-to, independent, global reference for index-linked contracts. If your organisation is considering index-linked contracts or requires regional visibility/coverage beyond the eight trade lanes provided below, contact our ocean freight cost benchmarking team.
Source: Drewry World Container Index, Drewry Supply Chain Advisors
Six-week rally ends as Drewry WCI slips 3%.
Our detailed assessment for Thursday, 16 April 2026
The Drewry World Container Index (WCI) recently snapped a six-week rally—a surge initially triggered by higher bunker fuel prices following the late-February conflict in the Middle East. After trending downwards throughout January and early February, the index spiked in response to these geopolitical oil supply disruptions.